Filing a Car Accident Claim and InsuranceCar Accident Lawyer

One of the best things you can have is car insurance, especially if you have recently been in an accident. In fact, in many states, you may realize that if you are found to be without insurance, you will get serious penalties, especially if you were recently in a car accident. In this scenario, it is especially important to contact a lawyer to see what your rights are, what kinds of penalties you may be facing, and whether it would be possible to still get compensation for the injures you have suffered from. 

What happens if I live in a no-fault insurance state? 

When it comes to insurance and car accidents, you may live in a no-fault state or a tort state. If you live in a no-fault state, this means that even if the accident was the other party’s fault, you must still seek compensation from your own insurance instead of filing a claim against the other party’s insurance. It is still possible for you to file a claim with the other party’s insurance, but this is usually not the default move. The injuries you suffered from would need to be significant to make this kind of claim. 

What if I am responsible for the accident? 

This can be extremely difficult. If you were at fault for the accident, the other party (in a no-fault state) would speak with their own insurance agent about the damage. However, if they suffered from significant injuries, they could file a lawsuit against you. If you did not have insurance, that means you would need to pay them out-of-pocket if they won the lawsuit. 

I live in a tort state. What does that mean for me?

If you live in a tort state, do not have car insurance, and get in a car accident, you may not be able to get the compensation that you feel you are entitled to. A lawyer, like a car accident lawyer from a law firm like Tuttle Law, P.A. knows that even if the other person was responsible for the car accident that caused your injuries, you may not be able to get compensation if you were not paying for your own car insurance. It is possible to still get compensation for medical bills but you may miss out on the compensation that comes with non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering. 

Need help after your car accident? Reach out to a local attorney who can help you with your claim.