Even during the pandemic, the rate of car accident fatalities is up.
As a car accident lawyer TN has turned to for more than three decades, I want to make it clear that car accidents — including drunk driving — are still major problems during the Covid-19 pandemic.
While there are less people on the road in general and the number of car crashes is down, the rate of accidents and fatalities are up.
According to some figures, more drivers are speeding on the roads than before. In some cases and states, vehicles are reaching speeds up to 75% higher than before. So, it seems that with quieter roads, drivers are becoming more reckless with their driving.
New Year’s Eve has always been a dangerous time to be on the road, and this year is no exception. When you combine the increased danger of car accidents with the healthcare system being overwhelmed, it’s easy to see that being extra diligent on the road is more important this year than ever.
How to drive safely on New Year’s Eve
I’m not just a car accident lawyer TN trusts. I’m also a husband and a father. I know firsthand that few things are as important as the moments we share with loved ones. It’s a tragedy for any family to celebrate the holidays without a loved one because of a fatal alcohol-related accident.
Please take precautions to plan ahead for your New Year’s celebrations. I hope the tips below can be a starting point.
If you plan to drink, don’t drive.
- Make sure you plan your ride home from any gathering before going out for the night, even if it’s a very small event. Designate someone you’re with to be the driver, or call a taxi or an Uber.
- If you are with someone who has been drinking, don’t ride home with them. Help them arrange a different way home, too.
- If you’re hosting a gathering and serving alcohol, help your guests who have been drinking find a safe way home, or let them stay the night.
What to do if you see an impaired driver on the road
Sadly, you can make responsible choices and still be involved in an alcohol-related accident. It’s equally important to be prepared for impaired drivers on the road. Here are some tips on how to spot an impaired driver.
The signs of impaired driving include:
- Driving onto the shoulder or anywhere that has not been designated for vehicles
- Weaving across the road and drifting in and out of lanes
- Erratic braking
- Rapid acceleration or deceleration
- Signaling that does not reflect driving actions
- Driving without headlights
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving slower than 10 mph below the limit
If you see those signs, here’s what to do:
- Keep as great a distance as possible between you and the impaired driver’s vehicle. Don’t try to pass the car or get the driver’s attention.
- If you can do so safely, try to identify the license plate number and any details about the vehicle, such as the make, model or color.
- Finally, call 911. (If you don’t have a hands-free device, pull over before making the call.) You’ll want to give a description of the vehicle, the reasons you think the driver is intoxicated, and the exact location, including cross streets.
Get help from a car accident lawyer TN trusts.
Unfortunately, we can take every safety precaution available and still find ourselves in an alcohol-related car accident. We all know a horror story about the dangers of drunk driving. When someone else’s poor judgement leads to an accident, it’s important to hold them liable. An experienced car accident lawyer can help make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
At Darrell Castle & Associates, you can find a car accident lawyer TN trusts who gets positive results. I have more than 30 years’ experience and a strong track record. Our lawyers understand the physical and the emotional toll of a car accident, and we are here for you. Contact us here or call (901) 327-2100 today. The consultation is absolutely free.
Stay safe, and Happy New Year.