If your application for Social Security Disability benefits has been denied, I want to say as a Memphis social security disability attorney that you are not alone. Millions of people apply every year, but only 30% are initially approved. If you find yourself in the other 70%, do not panic. There are next steps you can take to fight the decision. However, because the appeals process is quite extensive, it’s important to have representation from an experienced Social Security Disability lawyer. With the help of a Memphis social security disability attorney, you have a great shot at success with your appeal.

Common Reasons Disability Claims Are Denied

Lack of Medical Records

To qualify for benefits, you have to prove that your disability prevents you from working. For a successful application, you must have medical records that show how your disability has affected your ability to fulfill your job’s responsibilities. Medical records kept by your primary care physician play a huge role in a claim’s approval. I have seen people who definitely qualify but have not thoroughly discussed their disability, and how it’s interfering at work, with their doctors. Be sure to communicate openly with your provider.

Failure to Cooperate With Treatment

To receive benefits, you have to follow the treatment your doctor recommends. To confirm that your disability prevents you from working, the examiner needs to know that you are willing to cooperate with treatment.

Every so often, folks have legitimate reasons for not following the outlined treatment plan. I have seen clients mention this during the appeals process and win. But this complicates an already complicated process. It’s even more important to have a qualified Memphis social security disability attorney by your side in those instances.

Missing Documentation

The application process, and the appeal process, can be frustrating. However, it remains of the utmost importance to cooperate with the Social Security Office and give those handling your claim everything they need. This doesn’t just mean following up with the requested documentation (in a timely manner). You also have to show up to all of your scheduled medical exams.

What to Do If Your Claim is Denied

You can fight the decision. It’s important to move quickly, however. Below, I outline the steps you should take, based on what I’ve seen from more than 30 years of experience as a Memphis social security disability attorney.

  • First and foremost, don’t panic. Remember that denials are common. With the help of a qualified Memphis social security disability attorney, you have a great shot at getting the benefits you deserve.
  • Request your appeal as soon as you learn your claim was denied, within the 60-day deadline. I’ve seen too many people file the appeal too late.
  • Be sure to file an appeal rather than a new application.

There are no guarantees, but the best way to increase your chances for success is to work with a qualified attorney. I’ve been doing this for more than 30 years and our attorneys know the process inside and out. We anticipate reasons your application or appeal could be denied before they become a problem.

Contact an Experienced Memphis Social Security Disability Attorney

You don’t have to wait for a denial. Working with an experienced Memphis social security disability attorney from the start will save you so much time in the long run. And the sooner you receive the benefits you need and deserve, the more you can focus on what really matters: your recovery.

Give us a call at (901) 327-2100.