Elder Abuse Lawyer Memphis, TN
A Nursing Home Lawyer Here to Help You
Putting an elder who cared for you into an assisted living facility or nursing home can be a gut-wrenching decision. And when you’ve made such a difficult choice, you want to believe that they’ll be in safe hands.
Learning that your elderly loved one has been neglected or abused in the facility that should have been taking care of them is devastating. You only wanted the best for them, and now you have found out that they have been injured.
These cases are all too common. At least 10 million senior citizens are victims of elder abuse or neglect every year. However, that is a conservative estimate. Many more cases are likely unreported, due to fear of retaliation or the loss of independence. All too often elders are sitting with their pain in silence.
Elder abuse takes many forms. It does not always look like we assume it would. It can be physical, psychological, or financial. It can take the form of pressure ulcers or dehydration.
Here are the primary types of abuse against elders:
- Physical abuse: hitting, kicking, pushing, slapping, or burning
- Emotional or psychological abuse: verbal or nonverbal behavior that inflicts fear, anguish, or distress.
- Neglect: a caregiver’s failure to provide for an older adult’s fundamental needs, including food, water, hygiene, and medical care
- Financial: Illegally or inappropriately using an elder’s money or assets
No matter the form, it is downright cruel and unacceptable, and naturally, if this happens to your loved one, you deserve justice. We at Darrell Castle & Associates, PLLC sympathize with your discovery and would like you to know that we are not okay with nursing home abuse of any form. When we handle these types of claims, we utilize all of our resources to ensure we build a strong case. Our goal is not only to recover monetary damages for the elder’s losses, but also to ensure this behavior will not happen again. If you’re looking for a tenacious, aggressive elder abuse lawyer in Memphis, TN who won’t settle for anything less, call Darrell Castle & Associates, PLLC.
Do you recognize any of the following signs of nursing home abuse?
Nursing home abuse comes in many forms and may exhibit a number of different signs. Some are more obvious than others which is why it’s important to pay close attention to your elder, their behaviors, the staff, and the environment during any of your visits. If you notice any of the following, talking with an elder abuse lawyer in Memphis, TN might be a good idea.
- Restraint marks
- Cuts or abrasions
- Sudden development of STDs
- Broken bones
- Overly agitated
- Poor hygiene
- Isolated or withdrawn
- Excessive rocking
- Excessive crying
- Appearing “odd” when staff or certain patients are around
- Reluctant to speak when staff are around
- Being unable to get any privacy with the elder
- Unexplained death
- Missing money or items
Whether you recognize one or many of these signs, please understand that there may be a terrible situation going on and you should take a moment to learn about what steps you should take. Reach out to an elder abuse lawyer in Memphis, TN today.
What you should know about pressure ulcers
Pressure ulcers, also known as bedsores, are an increasingly common occurrence at nursing homes. According to recent studies, 1 in 10 nursing home residents will develop bedsore throughout their time in a facility.
They are the result of prolonged pressure on the skin. Bony areas are particularly vulnerable. The risk factors for pressure ulcers include:
- Limited mobility
- Poor nutrition
- And more
If you suspect that an elder in your life has developed pressure ulcers due to the conditions at their assisted living facility, call an elder abuse lawyer Memphis TN trusts.
What you should know about financial abuse
Seniors are uniquely at risk for fraud and financial exploitation. Americans in their 60s or older file more fraud reports than younger Americans.
In some cases, the abuser is a family member or caregiver, which is disheartening. Another form of elder financial abuse that you should be mindful of is imposter scams. In these, the abusers claim to be from the Social Security Administration or the IRS — sometimes even a “grandchild” in need of money, which is often targeted to seniors with decreased cognitive functioning. They reach out to elders over the phone or online.
Take these precautions to ensure your loved one’s safety
- Stay connected and close to your loved one. Isolated elders may experience depression and are often more vulnerable to neglect or abuse. It is harder to spot the signs as well — if you do not see your elder frequently enough, you won’t be able to help them. Keep in touch and be on the lookout for any changes in their demeanor.
- Encourage them to stay active. Becoming less active increases a senior’s risk for abuse. Encourage them to stay connected to community activities, such as religious services.
- Remain in the know about their finances. Financial exploitation is as harmful as any other form of abuse. It is also one of the fastest-growing. Elders should be in control of their finances even if they need to lean on a trusted relative or friend for support. Be wary of anyone in the elder’s life — caregivers or friends alike — who suddenly needs financial help.
- Support overwhelmed caregivers. Understaffing at a nursing home is a leading cause of abuse or neglect. Communicate with your elder’s caregiver. Listen to their experience and keep an open dialogue.
How a nursing home lawyer can help you
If it is found that your elderly loved one is being abused or neglected, a nursing home lawyer may proceed by filing a claim or lawsuit. This involves a process of investigation, a gathering of evidence, and more. The elder’s medical records and witness testimony might also be referred to. With this information, a case can be built and presented to the applicable parties. While this is going on, an elder abuse lawyer in Memphis, TN can help you to understand what to expect and answer any questions you might have along the way.
If you have immediate concerns about the safety and wellbeing of your elderly loved one, or if you are worried about retaliation by staff or another patient, please make sure a lawyer knows so that advice on how to keep them safe can be provided. Darrell Castle & Associates, PLLC would be glad to assist clients in helping them find a solution.
Are you ready to explore your rights and legal options?
If you would like to find out how you can recover compensation for an elderly person’s medical care, pain, suffering, and other losses, please call an elder abuse lawyer in Memphis, TN at Darrell Castle & Associates, PLLC as soon as possible.