Should I hire a personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN?
When a person is injured in an incident or accident caused by someone else, Tennessee law allows that victim to pursue legal action against that person or party so that they may be able to recover financial compensation for the losses their injuries have caused them to suffer. Most accidents involve filing a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company first, such as in a car accident or slip and fall case. This leaves many victims to ask themselves, “Should I hire a personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN?” While there is nothing in the law that requires a victim to hire a lawyer, the chances of recovery are significantly increased.
Even if it is very clear which party was at fault and caused the accident, insurance companies are notorious for trying to minimize a victim’s losses or even try to deny the claim completely. This is because insurance companies are in the business to make money and any claims paid out cuts into that profit. Having a Memphis, TN personal injury lawyer advocating you and making sure your interprets are protected also sends a message to the insurance company that either they negotiate a settlement in good faith, or your attorney will not hesitate to file a personal injury lawsuit and let a jury decide what you are entitled to.
That negotiating is another reason why you should hire a hire a personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN. An experienced lawyer will understand that not only do you have economic losses, such as medical bills and lost wages, but you also may have non-economic losses, such as pain and suffering, emotional anguish, loss of life enjoyment, and more. Your lawyer will know how to put a dollar amount to those losses and stick to those amounts no matter how much the insurance company tries to get out of paying what you deserve.
If you are wondering if you should hire a personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN for your case, the following factors are a strong indicator of the type of case that should have legal representation because of potential complexities:
- The injuries the victim suffered were very serious to severe.
- There are issues with liability for the accident.
- The at-fault party and/or their insurance company are blaming the victim for the accident.
- The insurance company refuses to pay any damages to the victim.
When you meet with a lawyer you are considering hiring, the following questions can be helpful in determining whether or not this is the lawyer that should be representing you:
- Does the lawyer specialize in personal injury cases?
- Does the lawyer have extensive experience in personal injury cases?
- What is the lawyer’s percentage when it comes to settling cases?
- How much experience does the lawyer have in taking cases to jury trial?
- Does the lawyer work on a contingency fee arrangement? Who is responsible for the fees should the lawyer lose the case?
If you are thinking of hiring a personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN, contact Darrell Castle & Associates to find out how we can help.