Surgical Injury Lawyer Memphis, TN
If you sustained an injury during a surgery, you should speak to a surgical injury lawyer Memphis, TN residents trust. You may be entitled to compensation. A lawyer can help you file a timely claim and stand up for your rights.
Types of Surgical Errors
When you go into surgery, you expect to come out feeling better. Unfortunately, however, that doesn’t always happen. Surgeons are human too and can make mistakes that end up hurting their patients. Here are the most common types of surgical errors:
- Performing an incision on the wrong location
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Injuring a nerve during surgery
- Operating on the wrong patient
- Administering too much or too little anesthesia
- Leaving a surgical instrument inside a patient’s body
Causes of Surgical Errors
For many people, it can be difficult to imagine how surgical errors occur. After all, surgeons are trained medical professionals who should know exactly what they’re doing. Here are the most common causes of surgical errors:
- Inadequate Preoperative Planning: No matter what kind procedure a surgeon is performing, he or she should be properly prepared for it. He or she should be fully aware of any complications that might occur and make sure all the necessary equipment is ready and available.
- Fatigue: As a medical malpractice lawyer in Memphis, TN can confirm, many surgical errors are due to fatigue. Surgeons often work very long hours, which can be physically and mentally exhausting. When they’re running on little sleep, they are more likely to make mistakes during procedures.
- Incompetence: Believe it or not, some surgical errors occur because a surgeon hasn’t performed the procedure many times and doesn’t have the skills to perform it correctly.
- Poor Communication: A surgeon must communicate properly with surgical staff. Otherwise, serious consequences could result, like operating on the wrong body part.
- Drugs/Alcohol: It may sound shocking, but some surgeons may use drugs or alcohol to cope with the stress of the profession. Using alcohol or drugs can cloud a surgeon’s judgment, increasing the risk of mistakes.
Consulting a Lawyer
If you endured an injury from your surgery, you should discuss the matter with a surgical injury lawyer in Memphis, TN as soon as possible. What happened to you wasn’t fair and you deserve justice. Medical malpractice cases are very complex, so it’s helpful to have someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. He or she can help you gather evidence, identify expert witnesses and negotiate with the insurance company.
Contact a surgical injury lawyer in Memphis, TN at Darrell Castle & Associates today.