Auto Accident Lawyer In Memphis, TN
If you were injured in a car accident, an auto accident lawyer Memphis, TN trusts from Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLC may be able to help. There are many auto accidents that occur each day, whether it’s due to distracted driving, improperly maintained vehicles, poor weather conditions, or other unpredictable factors. Going through an accident can be traumatic and leave lasting physical and emotional scars. You may come out of the experience with many lingering questions related to your losses, insurance, wages, and medical expenses. Fortunately, there are legal resources you can look to for the help you need. We have handled auto accident cases for 30 years and know what is necessary to build a successful case. You do not have to go through this on your own.
First Steps to Take After a Car Accident
After a car accident, it is normal to feel overwhelmed and scared. It’s okay to feel shaken up after a potentially life-threatening event. However, it is still important to hold your composure and take the necessary steps to improve your chances of getting fair compensation for your injuries and ensure the responsible parties are held accountable. If you are involved in an auto accident and are able to walk and communicate with witnesses, officers, and other parties involved, there are a few critical things you should do right away. In the event you go through an accident where you aren’t harmed or experience minor injuries, here are the steps you should take at the scene:
- Call the Police: If anyone was injured in a car accident, the police have to come to the scene to investigate and make a report. A Memphis auto accident lawyer from Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLC usually advises clients to get a copy of this report. You can go to the police station and request a copy shortly after the accident. It will likely include important details that may help your case, such as who was at fault for the accident, the location of the accident, and how the accident occurred.
- Take Photos: Photos of the accident scene are great for evidence, as an auto accident lawyer that the Memphis, Tennessee community respects can attest. These photos can help prove what caused the accident and the damages that resulted from the collision. Remember to take clear photos of your injuries, damage to your vehicle, and anything pertinent at the accident scene. Capture all angles and take up-close photos of details, such as airbags and interior of your car. Also be sure to take photos of any debris in and around the scene. If you are physically unable to take these photos on your own, ask a family member, friend, or witness at the scene to do it for you as soon as possible. If your car had to be towed after the accident, take photos of its condition at the towing service. It is also helpful to take photos of your injuries as you recover for additional evidence.
- Make notes: Making notes about the accident, including what you were doing before the accident, where you were going to in your car and why, if anyone was with you, and the exact sequence of events of the accident, and what happened immediately after the accident, as best as you can recall them, will help you to remember things accurately for a long time. You may be asked by law enforcement about what you remember in the hours after an accident. After a traumatic accident, it’s normal for the details of the incident to become fuzzy with time, so you can help your case in the long term by recording events accurately and with specificity. These kinds of details can be especially helpful if you are subject to a deposition by opposing counsel. If you can, please also consider taking notes about any injuries or pain you are experiencing, and when you began to experience it, even days or weeks after the accident. Do this over time in case you might be able to recall certain details you had trouble remembering before. That way you can keep an accurate record to the best of your ability. This will be beneficial in helping you communicate with doctors and other medical providers about your long term health care needs.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there are witnesses present at the accident scene, don’t be afraid to talk to them. Ask them for their names and contact information. Write down this information, if you are able, and store this information in a safe place. These witnesses may be able to testify on your behalf in court and tell their side of the story. They might be able to provide additional details that can help your case, as well as potentially increase your settlement.
- Keep a folder: You may feel overwhelmed with papers, especially early in the process, when you are taking notes, photos, and receiving medical care. Make copies of every pertinent document related to the accident and care you receive due to your injuries. Consider keeping all these documents in one place, like a folder, and please err on the side of keeping documents, not throwing them away. You never know what will be useful down the road.
- Seek Medical Care: It is important to seek medical care as soon as possible, even if your injuries seem minor. It’s advised that you go to a hospital after any accident, regardless if you sustained injuries or not. Also, if you don’t get medical attention right away, insurance adjusters may not believe you are truly injured and try to deny your claim, as an auto accident lawyer Memphis TN relies on, Darrell Castle and Associates, can confirm. It might seem like an unnecessary step, depending on your circumstances, but it is beneficial in upholding the credibility of your claim. In addition, your medical exam and the doctor’s conclusions can aid your case by providing additional statements.
- Hire a Lawyer: If you want to receive fair compensation for your injuries, it may be in your best interest to hire an auto accident lawyer Memphis TN counts on. Having a lawyer by your side ensures that your chances of receiving a fair settlement are increased. They will have the legal knowledge to know which strategies can best help your claim so that you get the justice and compensation you deserve. A trusted lawyer can take care of the legal matters for you so that you can focus solely on your recovery. He or she can help you bring a lawsuit against the driver who hit you and ensure your rights are protected.
What Any Driver Needs to Know About Car Accident Liability
If you have been in a car accident, it’s key to determine who is at fault. Determining liability as soon as possible after the accident is incredibly important simply to make sure the right party is held accountable for their actions; whether it is for insurance or legal reasons. Keeping records, like the photos, notes, reports, medical documents, and other documentation described above, as soon as possible, will help you get started on strong footing.
However, even with the best documentation, it can be a bit tricky to determine exactly who is responsible at the time of the car accident. Since fault can be the most important factor in a legal dispute, you should be sure to consult an auto accident lawyer you can trust in Memphis, TN. They will conduct a proper evaluation of every aspect of your case and contact the right parties at fault. An experienced lawyer understands how to get the necessary information to make sure your claim is as strong as possible.
Determining Liability: Why It Matters
When a person is determined to be at fault in a car accident, they will be expected to pay for any resulting damages. However, if you are in a multi-car accident, it is possible for many parties to be held responsible. When this happens, the next step would be to contact an auto accident lawyer in Memphis, TN, to figure out the level of fault for each person and consequently, determining how much they need to pay for the damage they specifically caused. This is why making a consultation with a lawyer is especially beneficial. Trying to contact multiple parties at fault can introduce additional legal complications that would be tough to sort out on your own. A lawyer has the skills and knowledge to handle such a complex case.
How Do You Determine Fault?
The easiest method of determining fault is by showing evidence. Clear and convincing evidence is the best way to prove to a judge that the other party needs to be held responsible, so do your best to gather as much evidence as you physically can while you are at the scene of the accident. This can be anything from pictures, a police report, or eye-witness testimonies. While gathering evidence, make sure you’ve collected the contact info of every witness, law enforcement officer, and responsible party at the accident scene. Keep your records as complete and as accurate as possible in case you have to deal with a reluctant driver at fault who refuses to cooperate.
If you are looking for an auto accident lawyer Memphis, TN trusts, contact Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLC at 901-327-2100. After going through a life-changing event such as an auto accident, you deserve to have a dedicated and qualified lawyer with years of experience to give you proper legal representation. Someone will be standing by, ready to fight for you!
Why You Should Hire a Lawyer After a Car Accident
If you’ve gotten into an accident in the Memphis region, it’s very important to contact an auto accident lawyer in Memphis, TN. The job of a lawyer is to advise clients on legal matters and advocate for their rights. The law is complicated, with many different facets, meaning that there are many different types of lawyers that can help in various situations. If you have been injured in a car accident, it may turn into a legal dispute. If so, there are several reasons why it can be helpful to have a lawyer on your side advocating for you.
Disputed Fault for the Accident
It may seem clear to you who is at fault for the accident, but the other driver may have a different point of view. The percentage of responsibility that each party bears for the accident can be significant if it took place in a state with contributory negligence or modified comparative negligence. If neither party accepts responsibility for the accident, the matter can end up in court, either because you filed a lawsuit or the other driver, or the insurance company that represents him or her, filed a lawsuit against you. In either case, but especially in the latter case, it can be extremely helpful to have someone representing your interests who understands the law. Consulting a qualified auto accident lawyer in Memphis, Tennessee can help you immensely in the long run.
Disingenuous Insurance Companies
Shortly after a car accident, you may get a call from an insurance adjuster from the other driver’s insurance company regarding the accident. The adjuster may sound friendly and helpful and tell you that the purpose of calling is purely for informational purposes, but he or she typically has insidious motives for the call. When an insurance adjuster calls you, he or she is typically trying to accomplish at least one of two objectives. The adjuster may try to pressure you into accepting a quick settlement that is less than you deserve or persuade you to let your guard down so that you will say something that helps the other side’s case. If you hire a lawyer, you do not have to speak to the insurance companies at all.
Most car accident cases do not end up going to court at all. Most are settled out of court. Your lawyer can handle these negotiations for you and advocate for you so that you end up with the settlement that is most advantageous to you.
The decision to hire a lawyer is ultimately up to you, but doing so can offer these and many other benefits. Our experienced auto accident lawyers have helped clients like you in the Memphis, TN area for over 30 years. With decades of experience, we understand the in’s and out’s of the law when it comes to auto accidents and how frustrating and difficult it can be for our clients. Our lawyers will assist you every step of the way.
Contact Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLC to discuss how an auto accident lawyer in Memphis, TN can assist you with your car accident case.