Roundup, the world’s most popular herbicide, has dominated headlines this past year — and not for positive reasons.
Four years ago, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) labeled the active ingredient in Roundup as a probable carcinogen. Repeated exposure to Roundup may cause Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a cancer that starts in lymphocytes, the immune system’s infection-fighting cells. Here are three facts to know about the condition.
1. It starts in the lymphocytes.
People with lymphoma have problems inside the lymphocytes, a white blood cell made in the bone marrow and found in the blood and lymph tissue. The lymphoma cells collect in the lymph nodes and can spread to other parts of the lymph system, including the lymphatic vessels, tonsils, adenoids, spleen, thymus and bone marrow. Sometimes, lymphoma spreads to organs outside of the lymphatic system, such as bone marrow, lungs, or liver.
2. Properly functioning lymphocytes protect the body.
There are different types of lymphocytes. B lymphocytes, or B cells, make antibodies that attach to bacteria and infected cells. Other immune cells can recognize the antibodies and know to destroy the infected cells. T lymphocytes, or T cells, play a role in destroying tumor cells.
3. In most cases, doctors don’t know what causes lymphoma — but certain factors put you at a greater risk.
- People who have had organ transplants are at greater risk for developing lymphoma, because immunosuppressive therapy weakens the body’s ability to combat illnesses.
- Some viral and bacterial infections may increase the risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, including HIV and Epstein-Barr infection.
- Lymphoma is more common in people over 60.
- Certain chemicals may increase a person’s risk of developing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, including pesticides and weed killers. This is why it’s critical to hold Monsanto accountable for the lives it has harmed.
We’re offering free legal consultations with a Roundup lawyer Memphis TN trusts — for cancer patients who used Roundup.
The manufacturer of Roundup, Monsanto, doesn’t seem to care much about the lives its product has harmed, but we do. Our lawyers are outraged. I’m a Roundup lawyer Memphis TN trusts. My team and I are currently taking cases and working hard to ensure that victims get the justice they deserve. Our firm does not make a penny unless we win the case; we feel it is the only decent way to serve these victims.
Call (901) 327-2100 or contact us here for your free consultation.