Johnson & Johnson’s products — many of which contain talc — have long been linked to cancer. Recently, the legal predicament has taken an even darker turn. Thousands of internal documents, which Johnson & Johnson was forced to hand over, show that the company has long been aware that its signature product contained carcinogenic asbestos.
Health organizations around the world have recognized asbestos as a carcinogen. They have found a strong correlation between the fibrous minerals and cancers including mesothelioma and ovarian cancer.
Key Health Hazards of Asbestos Exposure, According to the National Cancer Institute
The company’s knowledge of the presence of asbestos is all the more horrifying when you consider the severe risks of exposure.
- When inhaled, asbestos fibers can get trapped in the lungs and stay there for a long time. As they accumulate, they cause scarring and inflammation in the lungs.
- According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), significant evidence shows that asbestos causes mesothelioma — “a rare cancer of the thin membranes that line the chest and abdomen” according to the NCI’s website.
- Other cancers linked to asbestos exposure include lung, larynx, and ovarian cancers.
Some evidence points to a potential link between asbestos exposure and stomach and colorectal cancers, though the risk isn’t as great as that for cancers above.
- A host of other nonmalignant lung disorders are also connected to asbestos exposure. Nonmalignant doesn’t mean we should take them lightly. These conditions can cause permanent damage.
Symptoms of Asbestos-Related Illness
The NCI’s website lists the following symptoms. If any appear, it’s important to speak to a doctor right away. However, many may not become apparent until decades after exposure.
- Shortness of breath, wheezing, or hoarseness
- Persistent and worsening cough
- Blood coughed up from the lungs
- Chest pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Swelling of the neck or face
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Talk to a Memphis Product Injury Lawyer
Product injury cases are complicated. If you suspect a loved one has cancer caused by a contaminated product, it’s best to work with an experienced Memphis product injury lawyer.
These corporate giants won’t back down without a fight, but our attorneys have taken on some of the biggest companies — and won. We’re known for our results as well as our compassion. If you or someone you love has been injured by a defective product, we’ll investigate your case and walk you through all of your options.