If you need a slip and fall lawyer, it’s important to contact without delay. If you wait too long, you may miss the statute of limitations. In addition, as time passes it becomes more difficult to collect critical evidence for your claim or lawsuit. There are additional steps you should take for the sake of your health and to give you the best chance at recovering your damages. Here are several tips on what to do immediately after a slip and fall accident if it results in a serious injury:
- Contact a lawyer, like a personal injury lawyer St. Paul MN trusts, immediately. In addition to the reasons named above, they can provide you with the necessary legal guidance. They can advise you throughout the claims or litigation process.
- Document what happened. Your cell phone can be very useful here. Take pictures of the infractions that caused the fall. Contact law enforcement authorities to inform them of the accident and ask for a copy of their report. Let the owner of the property know what happened. Be sure you have documentation of all interactions with the property owner including dates and times. Be sure to copy all of your documentation and keep your records in a safe place. Your attorney will likely need to review it when building your case.
- Go to a doctor as soon as possible. After sustaining a serious injury you will probably automatically seek medical attention, but if you have not done so, do this immediately. This will help your lawyer prove the damages that occurred. Also, be sure to explain to your doctor how your injuries occurred. Get a copy of your medical records and save your receipts as well as your accident-related invoices.
- Determine if you have a valid injury claim or lawsuit. Your slip and fall lawyer in LA can help you with this after a review of your case. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation. To make the most of it, be prepared with your notes and documentation handy. Some lawyers will consult over the phone while others prefer to meet potential new clients in person. In either scenario, understand that your no-cost review will be brief so stay focused and to the point.
- Be honest. This may seem obvious, but you’d be surprised how many cases go awry because the person who was injured lies about details of the accident. Be as honest as possible so that your slip and fall lawyer can give you a realistic assessment of your case. Just as importantly, if you go to court or file a claim and the evidence reveals you were intentionally dishonest, the legal consequences could be severe.
Experiencing a slip and fall accident is often a painful and traumatic experience. If you have suffered a serious injury as a result, you may be entitled to compensation from the person responsible. Contact an attorney to schedule a complimentary case review. A qualified legal professional can advise you on whether or not you have grounds for a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Johnston Martineau PLLP for their insight into personal injury cases.