You can stop a wage garnishment through a bankruptcy

By: Darrell Castle

If you fall behind on your credit card or medical bills, then you may be faced with a lawsuit judgement.

A lawsuit judgement happens when you miss payments on these kinds of debts. The creditor will go down to the courthouse and receive a judgement for the amount of debt you owe. Then, that debt becomes collectible by court order through a wage garnishment.

However, that wage garnishment isn’t for ONLY the debt you owe, but also includes attorney fees and more.

Through that wage garnishment, your employer is required to take up to 25% of your wages out of your paycheck each time you get paid. If you can’t afford to pay your bills currently, you most likely can’t afford that automatic deduction from your check.

However, there’s a way to stop the garnishment.

When issued a judgement for your debt, you receive a notification and have a certain time period before your wages are actually garnished.

It’s important during this time to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney. By filing for bankruptcy, you can discharge that debt through a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and stop the wage garnishment.

It’s also possible to file for bankruptcy and stop the wage garnishment AFTER it’s began, but why wait and deal with that mess when you can end it up front?

Talk to an attorney you can trust – one who’ll do what’s in your best interest and who’ll walk and talk you through every step of the process.

Darrell Castle & Associates has received multiple Client Distinction Awards from Martindale-Hubbel for client satisfaction because we want and do what’s best for our clients.

Because we want what’s best for you, we want to provide you with the tools to succeed after a bankruptcy – we don’t want to see you back in debt. That’s why we offer you free access (if you’re a client) to our online credit restoration program, 7 Steps to a 720. This program provides you with the tips and tricks the banks don’t want you to know in regards to re-establishing and rebuilding your credit after a bankruptcy.

If you’ve been issued a lawsuit judgement, call us today at (901) 327-2100 to schedule a free consultation. Or, you can fill out one of the contact forms on this page.