JUUL E-Cigarette Epidemic Hurting Youth
As a lawyer TN residents have trusted for over thirty years, I want to share the most important facts with you about the JUUL e-cigarette epidemic hurting youth. JUUL is the world’s most popular e-cigarette device. It resembles a USB drive and vaporizes a liquid containing nicotine and nicotine salts through “pods.” It has been marketed primarily to young people — high school students in particular.
But it’s not just an electronic version of a cigarette. It’s stronger.
According to the Surgeon General of the United States, “All JUUL e-cigarettes have a high level of nicotine. A typical JUUL cartridge, or ‘pod,’ contains about as much nicotine as a pack of 20 regular cigarettes… This is of particular concern for young people, because it could make it easier for them to initiate the use of nicotine through these products and also could make it easier to progress to regular e-cigarette use and nicotine dependence.”
What’s most startling is that about two-thirds of JUUL users questioned from the ages of 15-24 did not understand that JUUL products always contains nicotine.
How JUUL e-cigarettes harm children
The Surgeon General’s report revealed many devastating facts about the JUUL e-cigarette epidemic hurting youth, including:
- Nicotine exposure during adolescence can harm the developing brain – which continues to develop until about age 25.
- Nicotine exposure during adolescence can impact learning, memory, and attention.
- Using nicotine in adolescence can also increase risk for future addiction to other drugs.
- In addition to nicotine, the aerosol that users inhale and exhale from e-cigarettes can potentially expose both themselves and bystanders to other harmful substances, including heavy metals, volatile organic compounds, and ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deeply into the lungs.
- Youth and young adults are uniquely at risk for long-term, long-lasting effects of exposing their developing brains to nicotine. These risks include nicotine addiction, mood disorders, and permanently lowing of impulse control.
- Nicotine also changes the way synapses form, which can harm the parts of the brain that control attention and learning.
As you can see, these e-cigarettes are far from harmless. In fact, they’re hurting the young adults of Tennessee in devastating ways.
The JUUL e-cigarette epidemic is skyrocketing among youth
The epidemic is growing to startling proportions. From 2017 to 2018, e-cigarette use increased 48% among middle school students and 78% among high school students. Part of this surge in sales among young people is because JUUL marketed their e-cigarettes to children on social media.
Although JUUL recently changed its domestic marketing policies to stop advertising this way, the damage is already widespread.
We can help you get the justice you deserve. Call us right away for a completely free consultation.
I am outraged by the harm JUUL e-cigarettes do to Tennessee youth. This is why I am offering a free legal consultation to anyone who meets the criteria below. My firm, Darrell Castle & Associates, PLLC, is here to help you get the justice you deserve.
If you or a young person you know has become addicted to JUUL e-cigarettes, we can help. Call us right away for a completely free legal consultation if you:
- Are 26 years old or younger.
- Are addicted to your JUUL device and unable to quit despite trying.
- Have experienced physical symptoms such as seizures, stroke, nicotine poisoning, heart problems, or lung problems.
When you call us, we will ask you a few simple questions to get to know your case better. We will ask where you acquired your JUUL and how you first learned about it. (Please note that use of normal tobacco before JUUL addiction is a deal breaker, but use of tobacco after JUUL addiction is okay.)