Disability Help: SSDI for Veterans

If you’re a military veteran with a disability that keeps you from working, you have options. Here’s what you need to know about SSDI for veterans.

Options for Veterans With Disability

Disabled military service members have access to both Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Veterans Affairs benefits like Compensation or Pension.

In fact, the Social Security Administration (SSA) offers members of the armed forces an expedited process. If your disabling injury occurred while serving in active military service on or after October 1, 2001, you’re eligible to apply for this fast-tracked process.

The expedited claims option applies regardless of where the disability first took form. So Iraq War veterans, soldiers deployed in Afghanistan, and men and women serving on US military bases all have access to the same program.

How SSDI and Veterans Affairs Benefits Interact

In addition, the Department of Veterans Affairs offers disability benefits independently from the SSA. They both require separate applications and don’t necessarily cancel each other out.

There are multiple types of benefits available for veterans through both SSA and Veterans Affairs. Some of those benefits don’t look at your income level at all. They look at your military service and type of disability.

Others, like Non-service Connected/Pension benefits, do take consider your income. When applying for benefits that require you have low income, you may receive benefits from one organization and not another.


Legal Help for Veterans Seeking Disability Benefits:

Veterans who apply for Social Security disability benefits and are denied have 60 days to appeal. That’s when you need an SSDI attorney.

As you can probably tell, disability claims can be confusing. An attorney who works with you through the appeal process makes a huge difference.

As a Vietnam Veteran and former United States Marine Corps officer, I take veterans benefits very seriously and want to help in any way I can. We fight for you as if you’re our own family. And we don’t make a cent unless you do.

We can manage your Social Security appeals process so that you get the compensation you need to help with your disability.

Let us know if you need legal help and want to take advantage of this option. I’d be honored to speak with you personally.

Just give me a call at 901-327-2100 or fill out the form below.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.