Summertime is typically when people head out on the road for day trips, long weekends, and extended vacations in Tennessee and across the country. It is also the time of year when car accidents and injuries are most likely to occur. A nationwide program known as ‘The 100 Deadliest Days’ aims at raising awareness of dangerous driving behaviors among teens, but it also offers tips adult drivers need to follow to protect themselves and others on the road. If you have been injured in a crash, contact Darrell Castle & Associates to speak with a personal injury claims lawyer Memphis, TN families rely on.
Summer Among Most Dangerous Time of Year for Car Accidents
Summer is one of the most dangerous times of the year in terms of serious and potentially life-threatening car accidents. Each year, thousands of people are killed between Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend. Part of the problem is the general increase in motorists. In addition to people traveling on outings and vacations, with school being out for the season there are also more inexperienced teenage drivers on the road.
Anytime there is an increase in traffic, the odds for potentially fatal car accident injuries are higher as well. More cars mean more chances for collisions and greater impacts. A personal injury lawyer Memphis, TN victims trust knows that among the most common types of behaviors that contribute to car crashes at this time of year include:
- Speeding and going too fast for conditions
- Distracted driving, which in addition to cell phones and texting included looking at passing scenery, eating or drinking behind the wheel, and changing GPS settings
- Disregarding traffic signs or signals, which is common among drivers in unfamiliar locations
- Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medications
- Protecting Yourself Over the ‘100 Deadliest Days’
Memphis and many other cities and towns across the state have taken steps to increase road safety, such as adding additional crosswalks, providing better lighting, and restructuring roads to avoid traffic tie-ups. All of these can help to reduce the number of accidents and injuries during the summer months. Steps you can take to protect yourself include:
- Buckle your seatbelt as soon as you get in your vehicle and insist your passengers do the same
- Check traffic reports before heading out to avoid tie-ups and areas under construction
- Give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination and avoid going over the speed limit
- Use caution in unfamiliar areas, paying particular attention to intersections and one-way streets
- Getting plenty of rest before driving, especially on a long road trip
- Avoid drinking any amount of alcohol before getting behind the wheel and be aware of how medications can impact driving abilities
- Contact Our Office for Help
When car accidents leave you suffering serious injuries, Darrell Castle & Associates provides the professional legal guidance you need. Whether you are from the area or traveling through from another location, we can help you in seeking the compensation you need to recover. Call our office to schedule a free and confidential consultation with our Memphis, TN personal injury claims lawyer today.