As a bankruptcy lawyer in Memphis, TN, I meet a lot of clients who are embarrassed to be in my office. They didn’t think they’d ever need a bankruptcy. They seem ashamed and worried we’ll treat them badly.
It upsets me, but not for the reasons they think.
I feel terrible because bankruptcy simply SHOULD NOT be shameful this day and age.
In just the past few weeks, we’ve seen news about bankruptcy filings from energy companies, rappers, and even religious groups. In some cases, these filings are happening because the organizations did actual harm and now have to pay for the damages.
The clients I see every day aren’t like that.
- I see parents trying desperately to make ends meet.
- I see a couple in over their head in credit card debt.
- I see someone trying to save her car from repossession so she can still get to work.
- And I see people trying to get rid of other debts so they can afford their student loan payments.
Through bankruptcy, the courts have set up a system where people in need can have a fresh start and not keep trying to dig out of a deep hole.
It’s forgiveness. It’s grace. It’s not shameful. It’s Christian.
If you’re embarrassed to file for bankruptcy, here are a few things to remember:
1) We always respect our clients’ privacy. Bankruptcy is technically public record, but it’s hard for anyone to find out about it unless they’re looking for a specific name in a specific newspaper on a specific date.
2) You will NEVER be shamed by us for coming in to our office.
3) The process of filing for bankruptcy is actually more simple than you might realize. A lot of people expect to be dragged through a miserable process, but we try to make it easy on you.
All it takes to get started is a free conversation with one of our lawyers. Contact us today to speak with an attorney or give us a call at 901-327-2100.