As a TN Social Security Disability lawyer for over 30 years, I know how challenging it is for folks to get their initial SSDI application approved. Every year, millions of people apply, but only 30% are initially approved. If you’re in the other 70%, don’t worry. Even though a denial can be frustrating, you still have options. There are steps you can take to fight the decision and collect the benefits you are owed.

Top Reasons Social Security Disability Claims Are Denied

Missing Documentation

The appeal process, like the application process, can be full of challenges. However, part of a successful appeal is cooperating with the Social Security Office and providing those handling your claim everything they need. This means following up with the requested paperwork in a timely manner, as well as showing up to all of your scheduled medical exams.

Lack of Medical Records

This is another common reason for denial. To qualify for benefits, you have to prove that your disability stops you from being able to work. Also, if your medical problem is likely to improve in the next year, or the SSA thinks the condition is not severe enough, you will get a denial. This is why medical records kept by your primary care physician are so important. For a successful application, you must be able to provide medical records that show how your disability has affected your ability to fulfill your job’s responsibilities.

Be sure to communicate openly about your disability with your medical provider. I’ve met folks who absolutely qualify for disability, but have not talked about it, or how it interferes with their job with their doctor.

Failure to Follow a Treatment Plan

If the SSA thinks you are not really trying to improve your health because you are not following your doctor’s treatment plan, they will have a tough time approving you for benefits. To confirm that your disability prevents you from working, the examiner needs to know that you are willing to cooperate with treatment.

Now and then, folks have legitimate reasons for not following an outlined treatment plan. I’ve seen a few cases where clients mention this during the appeals process and win. That being said, this can complicate an already very complicated process. If this is the case for you, it’s even more essential to have a qualified TN social security disability lawyer fighting on your side.

You Failed to Meet Basic, Non-Medical Requirements

It is very important to meet all the eligibility requirements for your case. Sometimes applicants don’t receive disability simply because they don’t comply with requirements. They may fail to provide enough information about how much money they make; they may not disclose every doctor they visited; or they may not make it to their SSA appointment.

This is often called a technical SSDI denial. The agency will refuse to even review your medical records if you do not meet their basic requirements for eligibility. For SSDI, you will get a technical denial if you earn above the ‘substantial gainful activity limit’ of $1,090 each month or if you lack enough work credits.

What to Do If Your Application is Denied

If you were denied benefits, there is still hope. It is possible to fight the decision and win. However, it’s important to move quickly in these cases. Below, I outline the steps you should take.

  • Firstly, don’t panic. Remember that SSDI denials are common. With the help of a qualified TN social security disability lawyer, you have a great chance of being awarded benefits.
  • As soon as you learn your claim was denied, request your appeal within the 60-day deadline. I’ve seen too many folks file the appeal too late.
  • Make sure to file an appeal rather than a new application.

The appeals process is quite extensive and it’s important you have a knowledgeable legal team on your side. Hiring a TN social security disability lawyer will give you the best chance of success with your appeal.

Contact an Experienced TN Social Security Disability Lawyer for FREE

This process can feel overwhelming and there are no guarantees. But the best way to increase your chances for success is to stay focused and work with a qualified social security disability lawyer.

You don’t have to wait for a denial, either. Working with a lawyer from the start will save you much time and frustration in the long run. Give us a call today at (901) 327-2100 or contact us online for a FREE consultation. We offer free resources about the disability process and what to expect in case of an appeal. We can also come to you if your disability renders you unable to travel to our firm.

Give us a call today so you can get the benefits you deserve.