How Do You File for Bankruptcy?
Bankruptcy can be difficult to navigate on your own without the help of a Memphis TN debt attorney, especially if you do not have a background in financial law. You may be best served by hiring legal representation before filing for bankruptcy. These steps provide a general overview of how to file for bankruptcy and what to keep in mind during the legal process. For more information contact a Memphis Tennessee debt attorney from Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP at 901-327-2100.
- COMPILE ALL FINANCIAL RECORDS: Any paperwork you have related to your debts, assets, expenses, and income should be collected and listed. It provides proof of your situation and enables you and the court to understand the severity of your debt.
- CREDIT COUNSELLING: At least 180 days before filing for bankruptcy, seek credit counselling. This is required by law. You must obtain counselling from an approved counselling agency. Some provide this service through their website or via a phone call so that you do not have to visit one of their locations in person. This is to ensure you have looked into all options before declaring bankruptcy. You will receive a certificate of completion that is required before you can proceed with filing for bankruptcy. If you do not do this first, you will be denied. A Memphis TN debt attorney from our firm may be able to help you locate an approved counselling agency.
- FILE FOR YOUR PETITION: This may be the point to hire a Memphis TN debt attorney from Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP. Although individuals filing for Chapter 7 or 13 bankruptcy are not required to hire a Memphis TN debt attorney, you are risking a denial or more serious consequences without one. Otherwise, you must have a thorough understanding of current bankruptcy laws as they pertain to federal or state courts. Understand that judges cannot give you advice about your case.
- FILL OUT THE PROPER FORMS: there are immense differences between Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy laws that you should be aware of. If you do not know the proper rules, procedures, and forms associated with each, then your Memphis TN debt attorney can review them with you.
- MEET WITH COURT TRUSTEE: Your case will be assigned to a court trustee after your petition to file bankruptcy is approved. You must schedule a meeting with them and your creditors. Although your creditors do not have to attend, you must be there. At that time your creditors will have an opportunity to discuss your case with you and your trustee.
If you cannot afford a debt attorney Memphis locals recommend, you still have options. You can check the resources available on the American Bar Association website for information about free legal services or a lawyer who might meet your needs. However, if you do not hire a lawyer, filing on your own may lead to a situation that leaves you worse off than before.
At Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP, we can provide you with a Memphis TN debt attorney you can count on for astute legal advice and representation. If you are stressed about being in debt and don’t know how to relieve your financial burden, we might be able to help.
For those who need a debt attorney Memphis TN has to offer, we are committed to helping clients determine the best debt relief solution for their situation. The knowledge, skills, and experience of our debt attorneys enables our legal team to negotiate with lenders to lower the amount of our clients’ unsecured debt. Debt can include medical bills, student loans, and credit cards.
Our goal is to help you achieve financial recovery. If you would like to speak with a debt attorney in Memphis who can help you do this, call us today.
How Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP Can Help You
Our lawyers are well versed in the ability to resolve consumer debt before or during bankruptcy proceedings. When you work with our firm we can begin by assessing your financial situation. From there, a Memphis TN debt attorney from our firm can form a legal strategy that offers you the best options.
A debt lawyer from Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP can work as diligently as possible to keep you out of bankruptcy court. Your attorney may first try to resolve your situation through negotiations with your creditors. Should you be sued by a debt collector or third party, we have the necessary experience and zeal to defend and represent you in court. If necessary, your attorney may also represent you in any post judgement hearings and proceedings. Ultimately, it is our goal to protect you, your rights, and your assets to the maximum extent possible. Your Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP Memphis TN debt attorney can do everything possible to protect your best interests.
Why Hire a Memphis TN Debt Attorney?
A debt settlement company that does not have a debt attorney on staff may not be able to provide you with the legal services you need. For one thing, only a Memphis TN debt attorney can represent you in court. Furthermore, only an attorney can advise you of your legal rights and they may be affected by state and federal laws. If you are being sued by a creditor and a judgement is obtained, a Memphis TN debt attorney from our firm may be able to protect your assets. Additional reasons to choose an attorney over a debt settlement company include:
- You are guaranteed confidentiality.
- You can expect frequent and direct communication with your attorney.
- An attorney can negotiate and counter unacceptable offers from the collection agent.
- A good attorney can explore all of your options.
- An attorney from Darrell Castle & Associates can adhere to ethical practices and legal
Are You Facing a Debt Overload and Potential Lawsuits? Talk to Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP
Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP serves families and individuals throughout Memphis, Tennessee. We have successfully helped to defend our clients and reduce their debt even when facing lawsuits brought by collection agencies, debt collectors, and credit card companies. If you are ready to achieve a better tomorrow, call Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP today. To schedule a consultation with a Memphis TN debt attorney call 901-327-2100.