Darrell Castle & Associates is the nursing home lawyer Memphis TN trusts to handle sensitive cases. If you or a loved one has experienced abuse at the hands of a nursing home caretaker, or suspect elder abuse or neglect, please call us today. We want to help.
Darrell Castle & Associates are known for their compassionate ethical work. We understand the anxiety surrounding elder abuse and the fear. We hate that elder abuse is a fact and we will fight against it with all of our resources.
A well-versed nursing home lawyer in Memphis TN can help guide you in determining whether or not abuse may have occurred and how to fight it.
Indications There May Be Physical Abuse or Neglect
- Bed sores;
- Emotionally upset, easily agitated or withdrawn;
- Unusual and abrupt changes in behavior (rocking, biting, fear of being touched);
- Reluctance to speak openly in front of caregiver;
- Head injuries and bodily fractures (in particular hip injuries);
- Desire for isolation;
- Unexplained injuries and broken bones;
- Bruises or sores, in particular on wrists;
- Wandering or emotional bursts followed by wandering; and
- Heavy sedation.
What to Do If You suspect Physical Neglect or Abuse
Most elder abuse cases go unreported, which lends to the pervasiveness of this condition in our society. Yet thousands of complaints of elder abuse incidents occur every year. In Memphis County, people are becoming increasingly aware of this serious situation. Often shame and denial cause people to stay silent, but it is imperative to address the situation openly.
The first thing you need to do if you suspect abuse or neglect is to communicate with the leaders at the nursing home, write down your concerns and maintain copies. If you feel danger is imminent, contact Adult Protective Services or talk with the police. An experienced nursing home lawyer Memphis TN relies upon will be able to help you through this process, we have a zero tolerance approach to elder abuse.
Currently, the most prevalent abuse of elders is financial abuse. AARP recently reported that only 1 in 44 elder financial abuse cases are reported. Predominantly, cases of financial abuse incidents are perpetrated by a caretaker, friend or neighbor. These are individuals who may feel entitled to the elder individual’s assets because of their intimacy or role as a caretaker.
It is imperative to watch for the signs and report concerns or suspicions immediately. Darrell Castle & Associates is the nursing home lawyer Memphis TN depends upon to uncover these nasty schemes and bring perpetrators to justice.
Indications There May Be Financial Abuse
- Previously financially savvy individuals exhibit confusion and fuzziness about certain payments, checks or money;
- A lack of interest in finances, as if someone else is taking the lead;
- Individual cannot recall making large payments or withdrawals;
- Sudden new friendships, unusual intimate friendships, or financial counselors that do not have licenses;
- Physical frailty may be an invitation for housing contractors and workmen to develop new “friendships” or steal information;
- Elder not wanting to discuss money when with a new friend;
- Social isolation – can lend to strangers taking advantage; and
- Identity fraud can occur when senior is receiving paper mailings, credit card applications, or emails without a secure server.
What to Do If You Suspect Financial Abuse
If you are the primary caretaker, you may have access to the financial records of the senior, in which case, you can monitor their finances. If not, one thing you can do immediately is to contact the elder’s bank, if it is a reputable bank, and file a concern or report. Financial Institutions have strict reporting policies and are responsible for investigating the situation.
Don’t stop there, however, because banks cannot necessarily take action. If the issue stem to a nursing home caretaker, the nursing home must be contacted. You should also contact a capable Memphis nursing home lawyer such as Darrell Castle & Associates as soon as possible.
Elder abuse and neglect, whether it is physical, emotional or financial is a serious problem in our society, and it is usually hidden and very difficult to talk about. It is critical to intervene as soon as you realize something is wrong. Senior abuse can start with a slap on the hand or a stolen envelope of cash, and it can go all the way up to rape and murder. Help be a part of the solution, contact Darrell Castle & Associates at (901) 327-2100, the nursing home lawyer Memphis TN knows will do everything in our power to see justice served.