Car Accident Claim FAQ: What is Med Pay?
Information from an Auto Accident Lawyer Memphis TN Victims Trust
If you were injured in a car accident, you may be able to cover your medical treatment costs with a form of medical coverage called Med Pay. This is an optional insurance coverage that you may be add to your car insurance policy. There are several different types of med pay, and not everyone has it because it’s not required coverage. For those drivers who do have med pay and are involved in an accident, there are several benefits it offers. An auto accident lawyer in Memphis TN might explain to you that med pay can help cover the costs of medical treatment as well as for funeral expenses if a loved one was killed in the car accident. At Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP we are very familiar with Med Pay and if you were the victim of a car crash caused by someone else, call us at 901-327-2100. A Memphis TN auto accident lawyer from our firm can address your questions as well as help you to recover your damages from the at-fault driver.
For Whom Med Pay Provides Coverage
Med pay is not a third party coverage and will not be available from another driver or negligent party. It only covers:
- The policyholder.
- Occupants of the car.
- Someone who was driving the vehicle with the permission of the owner.
- A pedestrian who was struck by the car on a public road.
If you are not any of the above parties, you can talk with an auto accident lawyer in Memphis TN to find out what alternative options may be available to cover your medical expenses after an accident caused by someone else.
Understanding the Nature of Reasonable Expenses
Under med pay, the insurance company typically agrees to cover the costs of any reasonable expenses related to injuries stemming from the car accident. The adjuster who is managing your med pay claim will likely determine what is and what is not considered reasonable. This is not up to you or even your doctor. If med pay is denying any reasonable medical treatment, it will be in your best interest to find out what a lawyer has to say.
More About Med Pay Coverage
- Your insurance premium will probably not increase if you use med pay coverage.
- You may be entitled to coverage from one or more types of insurance policies.
- Typically, you cannot “cash out” your med pay after a car accident.
- Med pay coverage is generally between $500 and $10,000.
- Some policies have higher coverage ranges; up to $25,000.
- The limit of liability can be found on your Declarations Page or renewal form.
- There may be a standard provision regarding med pay disputes.
- There may be exclusions that bar you from receiving med pay.
- There are time limits on applying for and collecting med pay.
You should discuss your case with a licensed, respected Tennessee lawyer who understands med pay.
Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP: A Firm You Can Count on for Results
Med pay claims can be complex and rife with problems, especially when there are serious injuries or disputes about what happened involved. If you’re having a hard time collecting med pay or you would like to learn about additional options to help pay for your medical treatment and cover your losses, we encourage you to call a car accident lawyer from Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP. A few reasons to consider working with an auto accident lawyer Memphis TN locals recommend from our firm include:
- We have years of experience handling clients’ car accident claims against negligent divers.
- We understand med pay coverage and other coverage types that can affect our clients’ financial situation.
- We will be ready to go to trial if the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement.
- We always seek the maximum amount of compensation for our clients.
To schedule a consultation with a car accident lawyer from Darrell Castle and Associates, PLLP, call today.