We may have only changed the clocks back this past weekend, and the holidays are still several weeks away, but it’s not too early to talk about winter safety. There is a greater risk for both slip and falls and car accidents this time of year.
Wintertime Slips, Trips, and Falls Are One of the Most Common Workplace Injuries
In 2016, there were 20,520 workplace injuries due to wintertime trip and falls involving sleet, snow, and ice that led to a day or more of missed work. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 28% of those resulted in over a month of missed work.
Simple Tips to Avoid Injuries in the Workplace
If you have to walk on ice or snow as part of your job’s day-to-day, please consider the following simple tips.
- Walk slowly and carefully. Be mindful of your surroundings.
- Wear slip-resistant footwear such as boots and avoid high heels.
- Be careful while exiting or entering your vehicle. Step down, rather than out.
- Avoid distractions. Don’t use your phone while walking on slippery surfaces.
Be Mindful on the Road, Too
Winter is a more dangerous time to be on the road. As a Memphis personal injury lawyer with more than 30 years of experience, I know that there is a clear link between the weather and car accidents.
As the days get shorter and the nights get colder, please be extra mindful of what you do behind the wheel. Here are some quick tips. They apply all year long, but they’re especially important to consider in inclement weather.
- Never head out before the roads are safe to drive on.
- Use extreme caution. There’s no such thing as going too slow on an icy road.
- Leave more room to stop, at least three times the usual distance between you and the driver ahead of you.
- Avoid braking, but do it gently if you have to.
Get help from an experienced Memphis personal injury lawyer.
Whether you’re the victim of a car accident or have been injured in a slip and fall, we are here for you when you need us, and we’ll be your biggest advocate.
Call (901) 327-2100 to speak with the Memphis personal injury lawyer Tennessee trusts with their cases.