If you have unpaid bills and you use social media, beware!
Debt collectors have recently been found using Facebook to harass debtors and their families and friends, in potential violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
This practice has already led to at least one lawsuit, and may be stopped by future legislation. In the meantime, it shows how far debt collectors will go when unchecked. What is next, Tweets about you and your debt? Mean comments on your YouTube videos or personal blog?
There are still many ways to protect yourself from creditors, even if they do try to use social media:
- Review and update your privacy settings on all of your social networking sites
- Do not accept connections online with strangers or people you don’t really know
- Familiarize yourself with your rights as a consumer
- Read more about this rude and destructive practice by debt collectors
- Put a stop to harassing creditors for good – contact our attorneys to get started