Are you receiving public assistance but still having trouble making ends meet? You’re not alone – not in the slightest. In fact, nearly half of all children in Shelby County live in households receiving federal assistance of some kind from one of the three most common federal aid programs:


    • Food stamps (now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
    • Supplemental Security Income program
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, the cash-aid program commonly known as welfare(Source: The Commercial Appeal)


This estimate shows a sharp increase in the last few years of federal assistance for Memphis and Shelby County residents. According to the CA, census figures show that “the number of kids in households receiving assistance rose from an estimated 80,026 in 2008 to 106,177 in 2010.”

The article also outlines ways in which families receiving these benefits still struggle. Food stamps sometimes don’t cover a month’s worth of needs; and the scope of temporary income assistance doesn’t usually compare to the real thing for people who have recently lost their jobs as a result of the recession. When you call our bankruptcy law firm Memphis, TN families place their trust in, our knowledgeable lawyers can explain to you the bankruptcy process and answer any questions you might have.

If you are receiving public assistance but still find yourself unable to pay your mortgage or other bills, you should talk with an attorney today about what options you might have to help you get back on the right track.

Our Memphis area bankruptcy lawyers will talk with you for free about your situation and let you know how we might be able to help. Contact us online today or give us a call at 901-327-2100.