Since Memphis has a record of being dangerous for pedestrians, Halloween and trick-or-treating can be a little risky. Here are a few simple tips for walking safely:
- Go out early. The light will make it easier to see you.
- Put reflective tape on the backs of your costumes and jackets to warn people of your presence. (You can buy this at Home Depot or other hardware stores).
- Carry flashlights to help other people see you and to avoid falls.
- Do not let children run ahead of you. Stay together as a group.
- Use crosswalks and traffic lights. It sets a good example for your children and helps drivers.
- Do not assume that drivers can see you, even with all these precautions. Be an aware lookout for your family – it can help you stay safe in general!
We hope you have a safe and happy Halloween!